With RPG Elements - The Search Bar!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Valve making their own version of Defense of the Ancients?!?

It's been making it's way around the internet the last couple days but some interesting posts from various places are showing Valve might have something new up their sleeves.

It started with the voice of Duke Nukem, Jon St John twittering he was doing voice work for a DOTA game and putting Valve at the end of the twitter. Defense of the Ancients or DOTA for those who may not know is a mod for Warcraft 3 based on a Starcraft map. In it you take control of a "Hero" unit and fight against other players who also control Hero units, one per person. The maps are lane based with usually with one player taking a lane and well, defending it. Your character levels and you can buy and craft items as you play. The levels and items reset after a match is over and you start with a clean slate. I must admit I'm not super familiar with DOTA but I've played League of Legends which is made by a different company with some input from a former DOTA developer and it is really fun but I'm personally not that good at the game.

Valve hired the current DOTA developer Icefrog a little while back as they do like to grab talent from the mod community and I guess we may see a real not mod version of DOTA out of this. While I haven't played the original DOTA I will like to see what Valve will do with this if it is in fact the DOTA people know and not some other project. I think it's cool for Valve to branch off from the FPS and start putting out other games. Alien Swarm was an example of them trying something new and I think it's quite popular so that's cool.

My love for Valve is no secret so I wish them success with any game they put out and I'm looking forward to playing this one.

For more info on Dota look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota

To read about League of Legends go here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

Finally the other big DOTA style game Heroes of Newerth which I have never played but I've heard good things about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_Newerth

No comments:

Post a Comment